Truth – Legends / The Reports of the Commander of the Jewish Ghetto Police

In Report No. 444 to the Council of Elders, the commander of the Jewish Ghetto Police wrote:
“On the order of the governing forces, on October 28, at 6 A.M., all the residents of the ghetto without exception were assembled in the square between Demokratu Street and Vitenio Street, the large blocks and Ramygalos Street. The order was given to leave the apartments open, as well as the closets and drawers.
The residents were lined up, according to their place of work, in the following order: Council of Elders, Jewish Ghetto Police, workers in all the institutions of the Council of Elders, municipal work groups, airport workers and others. Order was maintained in the lines by the Jewish Ghetto Police. At 8 A.M. the government representatives arrived and began the selection of the residents, deciding who was fit to work. Between 10,000 and 11,000 people were selected (including a large percentage of men and women who were fit for work) and sent to the small ghetto. The other residents were returned to their apartments at 18:00.
After the review, there were found to be 4 dead, 16 sick and 7 infants. It was instructed by the government representative that those who were sick should be taken to the hospital in the small ghetto. The infants were taken by the policemen to the nearby houses. During the day the government representatives, with the help of the Jewish Ghetto Police, arrested a number of people for looting the apartments in the ghetto. These people came from outside the ghetto. Those who were arrested were taken out of Kovno by the German representatives.
On the 28th of the month, the following cases were reported:
The Commander of the Jewish Ghetto Police”
The committee of the Council of Elders in the Ghetto. From right to left: Z. Levin, Y. Goldberg, E. Elkes, L. Garfunkel, A. Golub-Tory
In daily Report No. 445 to the Council of Elders on October 31 1941, the commander of the Jewish Ghetto Police, Michael Kopelman, wrote:
“I hereby inform you that on October 29, 1941, at 5:30 A.M., those brought yesterday to the small ghetto began to be moved in the direction of Zamet Road. After they were taken out [of their houses], under order of the commander of the ghetto guard, 100 Jewish Ghetto Police went out to the small ghetto to check that no sick people had been left behind. At 15:00 another 50 Jewish Ghetto Police were sent. Two women were found dead: Mrs. Haya Svirski-Stultz, and a second unidentified woman; and one man had been shot: Schmidt (Haim). In the place where the residents of the ghetto had assembled for selection on October 28, in addition to the 4 dead people discovered on the evening of October 28, more dead people were found: 5 who had died of illness, cold and weakness, and one who had been shot: Schneider Moshe.  One policeman was injured in the leg that day. The fate of those who were deported is not known.? All the dead were buried in the Jewish cemetery.
On the 29th of the month, the following cases were reported:
Deaths – 7; Births –
The Commander of the Jewish Ghetto Police”
M. Kopelman

The Jewish Ghetto Police was well aware of what happened to those who were taken out to the Ninth Fort. In Kovno Municipality, in Paradan Square, the head of the Jewish Affairs Division in the office of the German Superintendent and the Ghetto Commander, SA Hauptsturmführer  Fritz Jordan had a storeroom to which Jewish property looted from the ghetto was brought. A Jewish work group worked there sorting the objects. The group leader was called “Mongai” because of his Mongolian appearance. On October 30 Mongai and his group were engaged in sorting the clothes of the Jews who were shot in the Ninth Fort on October 29. They spoke about this on their return to the ghetto after work.
In Report No. 445 made by the commander of the Jewish Ghetto Police, Michael Kopelman, to the Council of Elders on October 31 there is no mention of this, not even one word.
Helmut Rauca, who carried out the selection of the Jews on October 29, claimed during his interrogation in Germany in 1982 that the Jews of the small ghetto were taken to Zamet Road, where trucks waited to take them to labor camps. Because they were unable to adapt to the conditions there, these Jews died. Rauca committed suicide in Frankfurt Prison before his trial.